The Hilltop Schoolhouse was built in 1898 after the original school located on the Democrat Road burned down. The children attended school from first to eighth grade. The school also served as a community center, political meeting place, church, social area, and the hub of many things over the years. The school was closed in 1954. One of the oldest clubs in the county, the Hilltop Social Club was granted the use of the building as long as it remained available for use by the community. The train stop at Hilltop was a valuable asset for the residents and for farmers who could now ship their farm produce much easier by train. The Colorado and Southern Railroad track ran along Hilltop Road from Parker, east to Elizabeth, south to Elbert, and on to Falcon. The grade from Parker was steep enough that a second engine called Polly was used to help push the first one up the hill. There are still a few places along the road where you can see where the train track ran. It was shut down in 1935 when a flood washed out a bridge and was deemed too expensive to repair. The Hilltop Store was the central drop off and pickup place for people in the area. The train stopped there with food, coal, and mail, and it gave residents the availability of going down to Parker and Denver for shopping and appointments. The roads were not the greatest for horse and wagons, and cars. The train made that not such a problem. The store burned down in 1945, but it had already transformed into the Hilltop Truck Line, which continued for many years afterward.